- how we collect information belonging to visitors to our website as well as personal data belonging to Landlords, Students and persons connected with Landlords and Students (such as proxies or representatives) (“you” and “your”, as appropriate);
- how we store and protect your personal data; and
- how and why we use your personal data; and
- your rights to control your personal data.
By accessing and using our platform and services, you confirm that:
II. What is Personal Data?
Personal data refers to any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual.
III. Collecting Your Information
If you engage with us in any way, we may collect the following information about you in a number of ways:
- information you provide through our website and through our application and verification processes;
- information you provide through our communications with us, whether in writing (including email) or on the telephone (including by way or recorded calls);
- information we obtain through your engagement with us on social media, including on blogs, forums and through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn and YouTube and our mobile platform(s);
- information provided on your behalf by your representatives or proxies (duly authorised to that effect) who engage with us on your behalf in the ways described above; and
- information from outside sources such as commercial databases, marketing databases, public records, and other publicly available information sources.
If you wish to become a Landlord or Student, you will need to provide us with the following information, which we may collect from third parties:
- your personal details (including name, NIC, passport number)
- your contact information (including telephone and email details);
- financial information (including bank account details used to make transfers and receive money);
- information you provide in our application processes;
- information you provide in your dealings with us and through your interaction with the platform;
- If you are a Landlord
- a proof of your ownership of the property
- If you are the proxy of a Landlord
- written proof of the landlord's authorisation for you to list the property, indicating the rental price agreed and bearing his/her signature, along with a copy of the landlord’s National Identity Card or passport and a proof of his/her address (utility bill dated not longer than 3 months).
- If you are a Student
- a copy of your National Identity Card (if you are a local student), a copy of your valid international passport and visa (if you are a foreign student);
- retain copies of our correspondence with you as well as other data we collect relating to your activities on the platform;
- collect details about visitors to our website for the purpose of aggregating statistics or reporting purposes;
- and retain comments made on blogs and discussion forums in connection with the platform.
IV. Why Are Personal Information Collected?
We require these personal data:
- to create accounts with us and to manage and maintain those accounts;
- to verify your identity and the other information you have provided to us, including your bank account information;
- (if you are a Student) to ascertain your identity as a student;
- to transfer money;
- to carry out mandatory or other regulatory checks;
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- to provide our services;
- to keep an internal record;
- to improve our services to the Landlords and Students;
- to send emails about new projects and special offers to the Landlords and Students;
- to contact Landlords and Students for market research purposes;
- to customise the platform according to your interests;
- to respond to requests;
- to maintain client relationship;
- and, any other purpose that would relate to our business.
V. Automated Decisions
Roomscout may use various software, technologies, and algorithms to obtain automated decisions based on personal data held on you to promote accuracy, fairness, and efficiency. These automated decisions may affect the services that Roomscout provides to you now or in the future.
VI. With Whom is Your Personal Data Being Shared?
Roomscout does not trade, rent or sell any personal data to any other organisation or third party. Your information is only provided to the relevant authorities unless you give your consent or if required by law and to participating service partners (e.g. the bank) for processing payments. If you are a Student, we may share your visa details (such as expiry date) if the Landlord whose property you book, requests for it. We restrict the information that is passed on to the strict minimum.
VII. Your Consent
VIII. Withdrawal of Consent
You have the right to withdraw your consent to Roomscout as regards to the processing your personal data at any time. Should you wish to exercise this right, you will have to inform Roomscout in writing via the email address [email protected]. If you withdraw your consent, Roomscout will not be able to provide you with certain services and this may even the termination of the agreement with Roomscout. You will be informed accordingly. Please note that notwithstanding the withdrawal of your consent, your personal data may still be processed by Roomscout in performance with legal obligations.
IX. What Security Measures Are Implemented To Safeguard Transmission And Storage of Data?
Roomscout has put security measures in place to help prevent the loss, misuse and alteration of information. When you provide us online with your information, the data is protected using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology. This encryption is designed to help prevent any unauthorised person from intercepting or reading any personal information you provide to Roomscout.
XI. Links To Other Websites
XII. Accessing And Correcting Your Information
You may, at any time:
- exercise your right to request access to the personal data we hold about you (a subject access request). Please email [email protected] with the subject line “subject access request”;
- request that we update and correct any out-of-date or inaccurate personal data we hold about you. You can email us at [email protected] and also log-in to your account and make changes yourself;
- exercise your right to ask us to restrict or erase your personal data;
- and, opt out of any marketing communications that Roomscout may send you by unsubscribing following the link on the marketing email you have received.
XIII. Storage of Personal Data
Roomscout will keep your personal data during your engagement with Roomscout and even after the completion of the relationship for legal and regulatory purposes.
XIV. Right To Complain
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Commissioner through the Data Protection Office of Mauritius.